I recently was called to teach a man how to eat who had severe diabetes. He was missing bread so much and was craving a cheese-burger with a big bun. Now mind you, I am not his doctor and therefore could not prescribe a diet. He would only eat what his doctor said was OK. He could have all the meat and dairy, but only a little fruit and veggies (because of the sugar and carbs). After a year on this diet he was craving some carbs in the form of bread. I made these and watched him explode with excitement when he ate it. Happiness is healthy too!
These buns are fantastic no matter how you eat them. They are best right out of the oven or fresh, yet are still good after being stored in the refrigerator for a few days. If they have been stored or frozen they will need to be warmed our toasted to be at their best.
- 1½ C Almond Flour + as needed to get the right consistency
- ½ C Tapioca Flour
- ½ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Honey (or another sweetener or sugar replacement)
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil - liquified
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt, soda, baking powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, apple cider vinegar, and honey.
- Blend wet ingredients into the dry, then stir in the oil (Make sure the oil stays liquified). Stir until blended thoroughly.
- Oil your hands with some coconut oil and form the dough into 4 balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Add additional almond flour as needed so that the dough holds together. Be careful not to make them to dry though. Pat them just enough to give them shape of a bun. Brush the tops lightly with coconut oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds (olive oil will work as well).
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool before cutting, or eat right out of the oven with tons of butter!